Ok, this was actually last Friday's lesson..
We had the first quiz of the second unit. Students did well - the average score was a 79%. After this, we began exploring graphical analysis. The example shown here is part of the homework. As predicted, answering these types of questions was hard for many of the students, but we did seem to make some good progress. I didn't give them any direct instruction - just asked them to try to figure out the questions in their groups based on what they already know. Then, we reviewed the answers together. We will keep coming back to these types of problems in the upcoming lessons.
After this, I did direct instruction on adding, subtracting, and multiplying functions. Students liked this, because it only required use of their algebra 1 skills. Though the notation was different, they didn't have to learn anything "new"; the feeling of relief was almost palpable in the room.