Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Unit 1 results are in!

I'm happy and relieved to say that our first test went pretty well. It was the right length - all students finished, but needed to work most of the period. I gave them a 7 page test (it was single-sided, and the last page was extra credit problems), and it was guiltily satisfying to hear their gasps of fear when I dropped them on the table in front of them.

I graded them quickly, because I was so anxious, and the results were nice:
Mean = 76%
Median = 79%

Here is a stem-leaf plot of the scores:

10| 0 3
9| 0 1 2 3 8
8| 0 1 2 4 8 9
7| 1 1 3 5 8
6| 1 2 4
5| 0 9 9
4| 8
3| 7
2|
1|


There was no single section that students missed across the board. I found lots of little mistakes that were common, and so I need to make sure to work those in as we move forward. I am trying to make more of an effort this year to constantly spiral in previous topics so they don't get lost.

No comments: