Saturday, November 15, 2008

Algebra 2: Vertical Translation and Transformation


I've been really good about my timing all year, until this lesson... I wasn't able to finish it in any of my classes. We almost got to the end of the Keynote, and didn't have any time for independent practice. But that's why I don't really create more than one lesson at a time - so I can adapt as needed. Well, that and it takes a huge amount of time, and keeping afloat is what it's all about. I'm still not sure why this lesson took so long; some students were tearing through the class notes, figuring it out on their own and finishing before we even go there. And some students were struggling to keep up. I know it's always kind of like that, but we are working with a very visual representation right now, and it has shifted some of the dynamics of the classes.

Coming soon will be horizontal shift, but not horizontal stretch. I don't want to overload them, and the standards in Algebra 2 really only require that students be able to graph things like f(x) = a(x - h)^2 + k, or to say how one vertex form parabola got shifted to another one. They can learn horizontal stretch in pre-calculus with the trig functions. At least this will give them a good foundation for the tedious work of grinding through f(x) = -2sin(3x-pi/2)+5.

Lesson 11 (Vertical Shift / Stretch)

Lesson 11 Keynote
Keynote Quicktime

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I teach Algebra 2. I taught in Charlotte for Teach For America for two years. I love your blog since it voices all my own frustrations over two and a half years. Keep up the work.

Dan Wekselgreene said...

Thanks, JD. Where do you teach now?